Monday, January 16, 2006

Itinerary Change-Red Dog Here We Come

I got an email from the travel agency lady last week about an itinerary change for the Alaska cruise coming up this August.  In case your new to my journal I'll explain.  It started last August at my 45th class reunion....everyone one was saying "well, we have to decide what we're going to do in 5 years at our 50th."  For several days after I kept thinking, "wow, we're all going to be 67, 68 years old in 5 years."  I didn't want to wait that long so I paid a visit to a local travel agency and along with Lori, we planned out an Alaska group cruise leaving Seattle August 11, 2006.  (Returning August 18th) So I sent out notices, both emails and letters to all in my class.  Lori said it was fine to open this cruise up to family and friends, too....anyone who wanted to take advantage of our group rates.   Pretty soon the reservations started coming in and this trip that I've dreamed about for years and years became a reality.    So back to the itinerary change...originally on Sunday, August 13th we were supposed to cruise thru the Tracy Arm Fjord from 9am-11am and then pull into Juneau at  3pm, staying until 11pm.  The cruise line said that they can't guarantee seeing the glacier while cruising the Tracy Arm Fjord so they are going to eliminate that and go right to Juneau.  While there, they will provide complimentary transportation to the Mendenhall Glacier.  This sounded great to me and the others agree.  What cracked me up was when I sent an email about this to my long time friend, Lynette, who's going to share a cabin with me...her come back was "Great !!!!  I have a younger cousin who lives in Juneau & maybe I can visit her...so I am happy to be in Juneau longer and besides that I want to be sure to go to the RED DOG saloon!"  So my reply to her was "do they serve Dr Pepper in the Red Dog Saloon?"  "We'll find out"...she says. I went into Google and looked up the Red Dog..there's some great pictures and it looks like a real interesting place. So if there's anyone out there that wants to cruise from Seattle to Alaska this August 11th (and get our fantastic group rates) send me an email...we can all go to the Red Dog for a Dr Pepper or whatever.....

I can't remember if in my weekend entries I mentioned seeing the movie "Memoirs of a Geisha."  It was fantasitc and a real eye opener.  On Saturday afternoon, I went nuts and went to another movie.."Last Holiday" with Queen Latifa.  She's so pretty and talented and I think that's the first movie of hers that I've ever seen.  

My Sunday afternoon lunch fell thru, my friend was not feeling well and her car wouldn't start so we're going to try it again for next Sunday. Meanwhile, I finally got the rest of the wallpaper border up in my bathroom.  I put some on one wall a couple years ago and I always thought it just didn't look finished.  Then I couldn't find anymore of the border.  I even looked thru wallpaper websites on line trying to find a match.  Well, here a couple months ago I was in Lowes and I thought "I'll just go wander thru the wallpaper section & see if they have it." And there it was..I was so happy.  (You see I couldn't remember where I'd bought it the 1st time).  So, like I said..yesterday I finished it.  It looks much better. 

Well, that's enough for today...until next time, Linda   

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, how exciting to go to Alaska - that is something I want to do sometime in my lifetime! Enjoy - even the Red Dog Saloon!

Sorry your friend wasn't up to par yesterday.

I did read Memoirs of a Geisha; that was an awesome book!

betty

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I could join you at the red dog saloon....it sounds an amazing trip with so many beautful sights.  You will have a wonderful time ad I will look forward to seeing some great pics!
Eve

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you'll have fun in Alaska, it'll come round quickly too. Lucky you finding that wallpaper border again, glad you got the bathroom finished. Hope your friend is well for this sunday. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

Alaska sounds great - and just how lucky you were to find that wallpaper match...hope you manage to meet up with your friend and that she is feeling better.   Ally

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great time on your cruise!  And how cool you found the matching border in order to finish your project!   JAE

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Alaska......that will be amazing!!! Hope you are going to be taking lots of pictures?

C x