Thursday, July 20, 2006

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

Here's the weather outlook that I recieved today from the Seattle TV station I usually watch.  It is unseasonably warm for us here in the Pacific Northwest, like Europe we normally have fairly mild weather in the summer.   Today at work we received a list of ways to prevent heat-related illnesses during high temperatures.  I thought I'd take the time to share them with all of you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Heat stress is caused when the body is unable to cool itself by sweating; several heat illnesses such as heat stress or exhaustion and the more severe heat stroke can occasionally result in death. 

PREVENTING HEAT-RELATED ILLINESSES

. Have an adequate supply of water and drink regularly.

. Avoid alcohol, caffeinated drinks, or heavy meals.

. Wear lightweight, loose-fitting, light colored clothing.

. Block out direct sun or other heat sources.

. Use cooling fans/air conditioning and rest regularly.

. Know the symptoms of heat-related illnesses; monitor yourself and those around you.

. If anyone show symptoms, always take this very seriously; have them take a break to cool down and provide them with cooling water.  If symptoms worsen within 15 minutes, call for medical help and have them transported for medical evaluation.

SYMPTOMS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION

. Heavy sweating

. Exhaustion, weakness, dizziness, lightheadedness, headaches or fainting

. Mood changes, clumsiness, irritability or confusion

. Pale skin

. Upset stomach or vomiting

SYMPTOMS OF HEAT STROKE

. Red or flushed, dry, hot skin, sweating may or may not be present

. Confusion, losing consciousness, or bizarre behavior

. Seizures or fits

. Collapse

. Rapid or weak pulse

. Panting/rapid breathing

. Any symptom of heat exhaustion, but more severe

It was explained to us by the "nurse types" that work in my office that alcohol and caffeinated drinks actually cause dehydration and are the worst thing  you can drink on a warm/hot day.  So I guess if I'm going to have a soda, this weekend,  it will be a root beer or 7-up type drink.  Even iced tea, if it has caffeine is not a good choice.     I know come December, when we are all complaining about freezing, we'll have forgotten all about these sweltering days of July. 

I still haven't managed to get my front and back lawn mowed.  If I don't get out there later this evening, it will have to be very early in the morning.     But for now, I'm going to try and get the dishes washed. I have a fairly good breeze coming in my kitchen window and a little fan clipped to the sill to help that breeze along.      Until later........................Linda

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh we got a much needed small thunder boomer this afternoon too!  Cooled down a bit...a whopping 75 at 10:30pm with highs to 89 tomorrow....ok so it cooled some 5 degrees......that's a start!

Anonymous said...

WOMAN!   Can't you get a nice strapping young man to mow your lawn? You shouldn't be out in the heat, friend.  We worry about  you.
Barb  

Anonymous said...

Well for heavens sake be careful!   My Dad always says "Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!"

Anonymous said...

that is warm!! Seems like the whole country is caught in the grip of a heat wave that just won't let go. Great precautions you posted. Take care of yourself and be careful when you get to mowing.

betty

Anonymous said...

I know it is pretty hot, once in a while, but I had no idea there were precautions like that going out!  I guess because it cools down again (morning and night) I don't pay much attention!  I sit in fron of a fan when it gets too uncomfortable.  Hope you stay cool!  Jae

Anonymous said...

Yes my Postcard came yesterday after I had asked had you sent any to the UK ,so it took less than a week ,that is very good ,for a post card ,Ihave known people go on holiday ,and sent off postcards ,but often they are home before the PC arrives , Thanks for the information on how to deal with the heat we are all experiancing ,....Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Thanks Linda for the excellent advice,  the heat has caused me to feel quite unwell this week but I`m being really good and following good advice. :o)

Sandra xxxx