Saturday, July 1, 2006

A Word Of Warning

I just wanted to put out a word of warning to my AOL journal friends.  I got a very official looking email this evening.  It said it was from Alerts@Aol.com  and the subject line said "Your Account Could Get Suspended."  First of all my AOL payment is deducted automatically each month right from my checking account, so I was suspicious from the start.  I called the AOL toll-free number, finally got to talk to a real person (their automated customer service lady thingy is crazy, it took me 20 mins of screaming into the phone "HELP" to get that real person on the line.)  Anyway, the real person was very nice, and after I read the email to him, he of course cautioned me not to click on the link to "update my personal information." (I didn't tell him, that I'm not as dumb as I look and that I would never give information out that way.) Anyway, it seems the AOL Fraud Department keeps regular business hours and is not open at night or on the weekends, so he advised me to call them during normal business hours.  If any of you get a similiar email, of course don't give out any information  save the email and Monday call 1-800-307-7969 between 10am and 7pm eastern standard time.    

I finally got the front lawn mowed tonight about 9pm.  It was quite nice out there and our little sliver of a moon was shining brightly when I finished. 

Now, I'm going to head down the hall with my book and my kitty.....Linda

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you were lucky to get a real live person on an AOL phone line...and I am guessing he spoke english too?  You better play the lottery I think you might have a lucky streak going.  :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning.  Robin is right! You were lucky to get a live person. LOL I don't think I would have even attempted it.  Enjoy your evening.
Barb  

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning Linda, there are some evil people about so we have to be so careful. As I said in my email to you....why couldn't God have made people more like cats!! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Very smart for being cautious.

Krissy no longer at Hope Lodge!
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

thanks for the warning Linda ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

It was nice at 9 p.m. last night!  Cool and light...Jae

Anonymous said...

hmm thanks for the alert, been having problems with aol lately, not sure why. Its cooler here today as well, finally got some rain :)

angelrose

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning ,glad the lawn is cut .............Jan xx