Thursday, September 27, 2007

Last Weekend of September, First Week of October....

......RAIN & WIND !   That's what the TV weather guy just predicted. He also said we are going to have a wetter & warmer winter. (That's what I saw in the Farmers Almanac for 2008, too).  I scurried around outside today, dead heading my roses, cutting back some of the dying flowers over on my big lump of dirt, I painted the door to my main storage shed and emptied some of my flower pots of the old dirt (grabbing the bulbs as they fell out).  I have two more large pots that need emptying but the trash can is full, so will have to wait until it's emptied Friday.  All of these pots were so full of weeds that I decided to start all over again with fresh dirt.  By the way...did you know that coffee pot filters make great coverings for the drain holes in the bottom of your pots?  I've been using them for that purpose for several years now and it helps to keep the dirt from washing out of the pots when they are watered or during a heavy rain.

I'll go over to the garden shop in the next few days and get some bags of potting soil and get those bulbs planted as soon as possible.  I also have purchased on bag of daffodil bulbs with a pink tinge that need to be planted.  I was telling Sandra, that I have to cover my pots with wire mesh to keep the squirrels from digging up and eating my bulbs.  One year they wiped out almost 100 daffodil bulbs. I was so upset.  The pesky little rascals !!  They won't eat tulip bulbs but I don't want to change over to just tulips.  I love the combination of both. 

Thank you all so much for the explanation of the invitation I received.  I'm going, so I won't call.    LOL                     Until next time, Linda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((LINDA))))))))))))))))Nite nite.

Anonymous said...

Boy you were busy.  Those little rascals just dig up my bulbs and make a mess.  But I may try again this fall, since I have more time to plant.  What are the daffodils  called that you're talking about?  Joni

Anonymous said...

The daffodils with the pink sound unusual, i cant wait to see pics when there out in the spring. I hope you havea nice time at the party your going to.
love and hugs
Katie

Anonymous said...

You have been busy ,cant wait to see the pictures in the spring ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

The pinkish daffs sound gorgeous, I can't wait to see them. I have alot of daffodils planted as well, I just love them.  It sounds like you are really getting alot done.  The squirrels & groundhogs destroyed most of my potted plants on my deck this year.    The only flower they wouldn't touch were the begonias.
Lisa