Friday, January 11, 2008

I Highly Recommend !!

I just watched the best movie; "Amazing Grace" based on a true story, the life of William Wilberforce, an 18th century English politician who fought for the abolition of slavery.  Despite staunch opposition, Wilberforce waged an aggressive campaign using boycotts, petitions and slogans.   He also championed other causes such as the S.P.C.A.  He was a friend of John Newton, the man who wrote the hymn "Amazing Grace."    In his late 30's he married 20 year old Barbara Spooner in May of 1797.  They had 6 children.  On July 29, 1833, at the age of 74,  William Wilburforce died, having been in ill health for many years.  He is buried in Westminister Abbey. 

This movie was released in 2007, so is available as a rental.  Again, I hope everyone will rent and watch the very moving film. 

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to see that movie when it was in theaters and didn't get a chance.  Guess this will be my chance!  I'll have to rent it for tomorrow night when I have my MIL over for dinner and a movie. :-)

Monica

Anonymous said...

Yup I gave a great review of that movie weeks ago and it was awesome!  I loved it.  

Anonymous said...

thanks Linda, I'm going to check it out! I've heard about it but I don't know why I missed it when it was in the theaters

betty

Anonymous said...

It's already on my rental queue and the Astronaut Farmer still is too, keeps going on short wait....
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

I have not seen this film, but do remember seeing the previews for it.  I will be sure to look out for it on DVD.
Thanks for the reminder of what looked to be a very special film!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation ~ I am always looking for a good movie to watch.  
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something we would like to watch I will look out for it ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

wow I have to rent that. Sounds like a really good movie.