Monday, June 2, 2008

PUMP & RUN

A woman said her son found his license plate missing
so he called the police to file a report. They told
him people were stealing the plates to get free gas.
Given the rise in gas prices, people have taken to
stealing license plates, putting them on their car,
then getting gas and running. The gas station will
have 'your' license plate # and you could be in
trouble for 'pump and run.' Check your car
periodically to be sure you still have a plate. If
you should find it missing, file a report
immediately!!! Keep an eye on your license plate!
Make sure you always know it's there!    When the
license plate is reported as the 'drive off
vehicle', it's YOU they contact! Be aware!!!! Be
aware of your license plates, most of us never look
to see if the plates are there or not.

                    Pass this along...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think they would want to steal the plates off one of our cars because the tags are expired! LOL
Kelli
http://journals.aol.com/kamdghwmw/noonmom

Anonymous said...

When Todd and I worked at a service station before we moved down here, that used to happen to us all the time.  I bet there was a drive off at least once every day.  One can only imagine how many they are getting now, with the price of petrol being what it is.  Desperate people take desperate measures.  It's so sad.  They are a bit harder to steal here.  But what they do is get some old ones from an abandoned car or whatnot and then affix them to their car, or alter the plates they have on their car in some way as to make them undetectable.  It makes me angry because at the end of the day we all end up paying for it.
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh ,Thankyou for drawing attention to this ,gosh the lengths people will go to ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I saw this through someone else too, Linda; great advice to have in these days of high gas prices; my husband also was telling me that he's heard of people going in and siphoning gas from one vehicle to another; so sad people have to resort to behavior like this :(

thanks for passing this on; I hope your day is a good one; its Tuesday, are you planning to go to a movie with your friend?

betty

Anonymous said...

Honestly Linda what will these people think of to do next ~ thanks for the warning will remember to check mine before going out ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip.  Not such a problem here in my small town (due to the fact that everyone would recognize you and not bother with the tag)...lol.  Good information though.  I will share it with my friends in larger towns.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

thx

Anonymous said...

Sadly this is just a sign of things to come.  People are going to start going nuts about gas soon and doing crazy things.  A man scolded me at the gas station...with diesel pumps they go really fast (for tractor trailer use) so I had a little overspill since they are hard to stop and don't shut off when full like other gas pumps....well this old man told me I just wasted liquid gold, and babbled on & on.  I am not the most patient person with strangers so I asked him if he was paying for it..he stopped yakking at me.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I keep telling hubby we need to replace our gas cap with a locking gas cap....
Linda :)