Monday, August 4, 2008

JLand Photo Shoot #138

 

           

The subject for this photo shoot is ~

 
 
Photographer's Choice
 
You can choose anything you want to photograph.  It could be a barn, a flower, a cow, or your paperweight collection!  It doesn't matter, just go and shoot!  This photo shoot is going to be for an extended period of time, as I know you are busy during the summer.  So you will have a lot of time to get your shot(s). 
 
Entries will be due by August 23 at 11 PM Eastern Time.  
 
After you've posted your photo entry in your journal/blog, please go to Krissy's Journal and leave the link for your entry.
 
 
                       
When I'm sitting at my computer I have pictures on the wall to my immediate right and then just past the pictures is a quilt wall rack with a shelf for "nick knacks" & "doo dads."  The quilt was made by my great grandmother as a gift to my father in 1939.  It's like new because all the years my folks were married my mother had it packed carefully away.  Along the shelf I've place a bunch of little things that have a special meaning to me.   Way down on the left you can see my grandmother's doll~she's on a stand next to the shelf.  On the shelf is a little wooden container Bob got for me in Mexico, the Eskimo doll I got in Alaska, a little wooden rocking horse, there's a little bottle of sand from Virginia Beach a friend brought back to me, a couple porcelain containers, a little pot that I bought from a Navajo lady outside the Grand Canyon, my little (and I mean little) Russian Dolls, also purchased in Alaska and my little Panda that I bought at the San Diego Zoo in March.     The blue booklet is a "Verse of the Day" collection.  And lastly my precious little Boyd's Bear angel and silver snowflake given to me by former co-workers...both hung from my overhead in my cubicle when I was working.  The bottle of water, etc. are next to my monitor on my computer desk. It may all look like junk to some but each item brings a special memory to my mind.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a sentimental gal after my own heart Linda!  I loved this little glimpse into your life.  I adore that quilt.  What a precious thing to have!  My mother has one that my Grandmother made that I covet.
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I adore that quilt. I know they are big in America but largely unknown over here.  I love all your little bits and pieces and the stories behind them.  How nice to have.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I love the quilt, my friend used to make ones like yours. We all have precious things that mean a lot to us, your collection looks fascinating! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

OMG  Linda, I have the twin to your quilt.  For my birthday my mother gave me a wedding ring quilt she had bought.  I will take a picture of it so you can see it.
For years I used the quilt as a table topper until it started to show too much wore.    

debbie

Anonymous said...

Linda, your precious array of "junk" is a great testiment to lives lived and people loved.    D

Anonymous said...

All my memories and momentos seem to have found their way into the attic. :O(
I like your idea better.

B. x

Anonymous said...

Oh memories are so important. I have a china closet filled with all sorts of my memories, from the little rock my son handed me as a child when we went to the beach...to the doll my Grandfather brought back to me from Greece...I see them and it reconnects me to my past and my long lost loved ones...I love what you did...love, Sandi

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt and no, I dont think any of it looks like junk. I have lots of stuff myself that has sentimental value to it. You cant replace that. :) Kelly

Anonymous said...

I love the quilt! I have several quilt racks that hang on the wall, but I have not been able to pin Rusty down to hang them up yet! LOL
Kelli
http://journals.aol.com/kamdghwmw/noonmom

Anonymous said...

great picture!! lots of memories there!

betty

Anonymous said...

I think we all have our private little corner around the computer, Linda

Anonymous said...

thats a beautiful quilt

Anonymous said...

I liked seeing your special things and glad you have them displayed for you to enjoy.....
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Would you believe I have 3 of those Eskimo dolls?They have a little bear shaped(sorta) rug that came with them.As soon as this computer starts acting right I will take a oic and post it.It's giving me fits -somethings stealing my hard drive space,grrrrrrrrrrrr.Love that quilt!!!!
Connie  

Anonymous said...

Well that settles that!  I need to send you something from ME for your special shelf.  :)

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful collection of special things you have...esp that beautiful quilt!!  thanks for getting back with me on alerts the other day...sorry i've been so lax in acknowledging it.  i don't know why i worried about missing anything...my box is so full since alerts started again i don't know where to start!!  lol
gina