Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What's Been Going On ?

Well, it's been a busy spring & summer. I'm finally done with the memory booklet that I've been putting together for my 50th class reunion.  It's been lots of hard work but also a lot of fun.  The gal at the print shop figures I've spent at least 60 hours typing entires, submitting them & doing research on the happenings of the years 1959-60. I know there have been many evenings when my hands were very sore & tired from pounding the keys.   I went thru the final proof copy of the booklet today and will turn it into the printer tomorrow and then I'm all finished with this project.  All I have to do is pick up the 150 copies they're going to print, when they are ready in a couple weeks. 

We finally got some warm summer type weather. Last week we had several days in the high 90's and believe me it was miserable in this place with no a/c. I did what I could during the day, but mostly just kept moving the fans around trying to keep cool. 

I have a small wooden deck off my dining room and about two weeks ago I decided it was time to scrub it, getting it ready to stain & waterproof. Bob was gone so I didn't have access to a pressure washer so I scrubbed the thing down with a vegetable brush !! It took hours!  A few days later Bob was back in town and took his pressure washer to it and finished it off.  There were some areas that I couldn't get to with the brush.  After several days of 90* I was able to put the first coat of waterproof sealant on it.  I got a product that was not only a sealant & waterproofer but also was a cedar color.  I love the look of it but have decided that before I put all the flower pots & the birdbath back...I'm going to put another coat on it.  Maybe....

Bob is dying to go back up to the Olympic Peninsula to Sol Duc Hot Springs so we may head up that way in the next day or so.  There's several places to camp up there and it will be nice to get away for a few days.   I just want to be home by next Monday evening. 

I have lots of yard work and other things to accomplish before I set sail on July 30th.  There's several from my high school class that are taking a pre-reunion 50th Class reunion Alaska cruise.  We leave from Seattle July 30th, returning August 6th.  Then our reunion is here in Tacoma on August 7th.

I hope you are all well and having a good summer.  My heart goes out to the people in the mid-west and east coast....their heat wave has been almost unbearable.  We all need to remember to keep hydrated & not do too much hard labor when the temperatures soar .

Here's a picture I took today from a look out at Tacoma's Point Defiance Park.  It shows the two Tacoma Narrows Bridges off in the distance.    

Until next time.................Linda

8 comments:

betty said...

good for you Linda!! you got the reunion project done and in plenty of time! bet you are looking forward to the cruise!!!

betty

garnett109 said...

It's going to get hot again in a few days

Trees said...

Hi Linda, nice to see your post. Good for you my friend you did well with the project, sound like such a great deal of work. I loved the Olympic mountain area and would very much like to visit the hot springs one day. The weather here has been to say the least wicked. You can almost cut the heat with a knife. The cruise sounds like a lot of fun.
Have a great time at your reunion.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Congrats on finishing your reunion book. It sounds like you have some very nice days ahead of you. Camping cruising and then the actual reunion. The pictures you put in the post today are beautiful. We had some 90 degree heat here too and may get a few more days of it this week too. I do have a/c so am able to keep cool.

Jimmy's Journal said...

I'll bet you're happy that booklet's ftnished. It's been real hot in Miami as well, but I'll always take the heat over the cold.

Jimmy

DB said...

Good job getting the book finished Linda. Have a good cruise.

Is it hot here? We cut through the heat with a chain saw and then we breathe warm water.

D

DB said...

Got you post card from Ruby Beach. Mind one of those whales dont have you for lunch

Amanda said...

(((((((((((((LINDA))))))))))))))Sounds like you did alot of work on this book,you should be very proud.I bet you had a grea time on your trip.I am going on another Disney cruise Sept 16 for 4 days,cant wait.Than I am going to go to Ocean City with my Boyfriend.