Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Wednesday Evening

I stopped at my niece's house on the way home from work this afternoon.  They were watching an unfolding drama on CNN...an Airbus passenger plane with 139 people on board, was coming into LA X for an emergency landing.  The landing gear under the nose of the plane had malfunctioned and the wheels were turned sideways, instead of straight ahead.  The plane had taken off from the Burbank airport (I landed there the end of May) on it's way to New York and apparently the wheels wouldn't retract, so they never left the Southern California air space.  They had to circle over the LA air space burning up fuel before it was safe to attempt bringing the plane down.   When the plane finally came down, the pilot kept it on the rear wheels as long as possible and then finally the nose of the plane came down.  There was smoke, and then flames as those front wheels were burning....but that crew brought that plane in right down the center line of the runway just as smooth as could be.  There were many, many emergency vehicles waiting on the runway but the passengers and crew all got off safely.  I'd say that pilot and his crew are true heroes ! 

Meanwhile in the south eastern part of our country, people are once again evacuting with the threat of Hurricane Rita (which at this point, I understand, is a catagory 5) .  Some of the people from New Orleans that were moved to Texas are now being moved again as Rita could hit Texas. It  still seems uncertain as to exactly where it will hit.

This PBS special is so great.  I have all the records (I guess they are called vinyls now) from the early 1960's that the Mama's & Papa's recorded.  Talk about easy listening music.  They were great !!!  If I had a turntable, I'd get them out and listen to each one of them right now!

Well, I'm off work again tomorrow.  I have an exciting day planned...there's a local plumbing company sending someone out to do some work in the morning and then I need to start going thru boxes of stuff in my storage shed..that is if I don't spend too much time at my computer.  Until next time....Linda

                                     Smart Italian

An old Italian man lived alone in the country. He wanted to dig his tomato garden, but it was very hard work as the ground was hard. His only son, Vincent, who used to help him, was in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament.

Dear Vincent,
I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won't be able to plant my tomato garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. If you were here my troubles would be over. I know you would dig the plot for me.

Love Dad


A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Dad,
Not for nothing, but don't dig up that garden. That's where I buried the BODIES.
Love Vinnie


At 4 a.m. the next morning, FBI agents and local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left.

That same day the old man received another letter from his son.


Dear Dad,
Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.
Love Vinnie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post!  Loved the joke too!

Anonymous said...

Those people on the plane were very lucky and it certainly does sound like the crew were heroes.  God bless them.  Yes, we are keeping updated on the hurricane over here, terrible thing, as if those people have not been through enough.  Great joke.

Anonymous said...

HeHe... great joke Linda!  We are keeping up with the hurricane news here too.  It sounds very scary after Katrina.  Let`s hope and pray that it won`t be too severe.  These air crews are marvellous people, to keep so cool during a crisis like that one.  Well done to them! :-)

Sandra xxxx