Friday, February 10, 2006

Friday Early Evening

Well, tonight one of my favorite programs will be on TV for hours....the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games...in this case the winter Olympics.   Washington state has quite a few Olympic hopefuls this year and one of my favorite's is Apolo Ohno  from Seattle.  He's a short-track speed skater and can possibly win medals in four events, the 500, 1,000 and 1,500 meters and the 5,000 meter relay.  Apolo first competed in the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.  So let me take this opportunity to wish all the Olympic athletes best wishes and especially those from Washington state. 

It was a beautiful sunny day here in western Washington.  The temperature reached about 58 degrees on my porch thermometer.  I ran some errands and then spent a couple hours inside at the movie theater again watching the new "Pink Panther" movie with Steve Martin.  It was good and just as silly as the old ones with Peter Sellers. 

Tomorrow, I'm hosting a potluck lunch for about 20 former co-workers.  We all worked at a little hospital back in the 1980's called Doctors Hospital, that doesn't' exist anymore.  I worked there for several years and was the Admitting department (yup it was just me) and I also relieved for breaks on the old 1 position cord switchboard, if I wasn't admitting a patient.  Doctors Hospital was a 30 bed medical-surgical facility.  It was a great place to work...like a family.  We all loved working there and it was a sad day when it was swallowed up by the bigger hospital up the street.  At least we were all "grandfather ed" into that systems employee roster so my  first few years of service (24 years on Jan 25, 2006) were actually spent at Doctor's.  Our potluck will be at the clubhouse here in the mobile park where I live.  We used to go to restaurants for our get together's but after about an hour the staff there would start looking at us like they were wondering if we were ever going to leave.  This way..we are free to be loud and boisterous and stay and visit as long as we want.

I hope everyone had a pleasant week and that your weekend will be restful and have a few fun moments.   Until next time.....Linda

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your potluck sounds like fun!  It'll be good to visit with your friends in such a relaxed atmosphere!  JAE

Anonymous said...

good luck to that speed skater from Washington. I enjoy watching the Olympics. Have fun at your potluck!

betty

Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely ,you must tell us how it goes ,and what you made to eat .....Jan xx

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you'll have a good time!! An hour is hardly long enough to catch up with friends is it?!! Have a great time tomorrow, I expect you're busy preparing for it today. Jeannette.  

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda, enjoy your get together with your friends, you must all have a lot to talk about. :o)

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a good time, I am sure you will.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Short track speed racing I love to watch ...I wish Apolo Ohno all the best - and hope he comes away with some Medals.
I loved the old Pink Panther Films with Peter Sellers.  I look forward to the new one with Steve Martin - he is a great actor. and very funny.

What a lovely idea to get together with old friends and colleagues - better still to have it where you are not pushed for time... I hope all goes well.......Ally