Monday, February 20, 2006

Update to Photo Scavenger Hunt #63

Ok the answer to; "do you still play?"  Is "yes a little."  Of course back in the 1950's I graduated to a big full size accordion.  It was beautiful......marbled red with black accents. I took lessons for about 5 years, played at school, etc.  I sold it for $30.00 back in the 60's when Julie was little and I was very short of money.  It made me sick to do that but I had no choice at the time.  I sold it to a man and his wife that were friends of my folks and they later gave it to some missionaries that were on their way to Africa. I've often wondered if it's still over there somewhere....

The accordion in the picture I've posted today, is another story.  I always mourned the loss of my beautiful red accordion and one day, many years ago, my former husband and I were at the Swap Meet and there was a sweet little dwarf  lady there and among other things, she had this accordion for sale.  I tried it out and it worked fine..... it's a full size keyboard, 120 bass accordion but it's sized overall for a child or a very small adult.  So here I am, a full sized adult with this "toy like" full 120 bass accordion strapped onto me.   It's a little awkward but I enjoy it.  And I do still "play" at playing it.  Right now, I can't find my music...it's in a box somewhere.  But I can play "Silent Night" and part of a polka I learned as a kid from memory. When my grand daughter was little, she was totally enthralled with it and I told her that when she was 10 she could have it.  By the time she was 10, she had a piano and was taking lessons so decided she no longer wanted my  $25.00 Swap Meet accordion. 

It's very cold (24 degrees) and very over cast here today.  The cute weather guy on TV says it's going to warm up to the middle 40's and rain but I'm afraid for what we'll get if there's moisture and it doesn't warm up.  I can't even say the word for fear it will happen.  Until later.....Linda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how lovely thankyou for answering our quetion Linda ,when you think back at stuff that had to be sold just to eat , its what we did rather than go into debt .............Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Linda love that picture - and glad to know you still play....Would like to know where your old accordion is now...So sad having to sell it  - but as you say you needed the money....and you have to eat...pity your grand daughter took up the piano, but at least you get to keep it.......Ally

Anonymous said...

Love the recent picture of you with the accordion. So glad to hear you are still playing it!

betty

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!
Kate~