Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Picture potpourri of events from the last couple months

I'm still coughing pretty  bad, last night it seemed like that's all I did.  So since I'm home, from work with time on my hands I decided to post some pictures that have been piling up for the last couple months.  

The first group of pictures I took the first of March on a sunny Saturday when friend Bob & I took a drive to Seattle.  We love to visit the world famous Pike Place Farmers Market.  Any celebrity that ever comes to Seattle always, always visits the Market.  Seattle is a fun town to visit but I would not want to live there.  Being 35 miles to the south is close enough.

Then just last week on April 19th my grandson spent some time with me in honor of his 15th birthday.  We visited the fantastic Military Museum at the Army's Fort Lewis.  The building that houses the museum dates back to the World War I era.  It was built to accomodate the needs of the soldier, his family and friends. As the Red Shield Inn run by the Salvation Army, it served as a hotel for visiting families and a recreation building for the soldiers at Camp Lewis.  In July 1921, the Salvation Army sold the Inn to the US Army for $1.00.  It then became known as the Camp Lewis apartments and when the Camp became a Fort in 1927 it was renamed the Fort Lewis Inn.   In 1972 the Fort Lewis Inn was saved to become the home to the Fort Lewis Military Museum.  In 1979, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.  This museum is the only cerfitied US Army Museum on the West Coast. If you'd like to know more about the museum, they have a website;  www.lewis.army.mil/lewis-redshield.asp

The next day, Harrison and I took a drive across the present Narrows Bridge connecting Tacoma and the Olympic Peninsula.  They are in the process of building a new bridge for traffic going into Tacoma (each bridge will handle one-way traffic).  The new bridge is scheduled to open this time next year and they seem to be making great process.  Those workers are very brave, working hundreds of feet about some very turbulent water.  To watch them, you'd think they were just walking along a sidewalk, instead of a cat walk hundreds of feet in the air. The traffic back up each morning and evening is a nightmare for those who make the daily commute. And if there's an accident out there (or a jumper and that happens sometimes, too) it could be backed up for hours.   We hope the new bridge will make it better for those folks. If you'd like to learn about our beautiful bridge, you can check out their website; http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/TNBhistory/

And finally this last Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday was the Puyallup (pew-all-up)Spring Fair. It's a mini version of the big 21 day fair each September. It's really geared for kids and my granddaughter has caught the "Fair Bug" from her mother. She had nine entries this year, there were baked items, art work and craft items.  She won 1st or 2nd ribbons on all nine of her entries.  The one I'm picturing is her darling little clothes pin doll.  As you can see she won 1st place for that effort.  She also entered some poppy seed scones and I even got to sample some of those when they were first baked...very good. I believe they earned her a 1st place also.

So there you are....I'm all caught up with some recent pictures that I've taken.  I hope you enjoy looking at them.  The purpose of my journal, after all,  is to share what's going on in the corner of the United States that has been my home my entire life.

I'm going to go make some popcorn, until next time..........Linda

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry the cough is still with you ,your pictures are great ,Iespecially like the clothes pin/peg dolly,how old is your Grandaughter now I have her picture with you all dont I?............Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interesting read and for letting us share in your photos.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're still not feeling too well. Well done to your granddaughter, she sounds a very clever young girl! I love the photos, if ever I see a bridge I just have to walk across it!! Jeannette xx

Anonymous said...

Linda sorry you still have that cough do hope it gets better soon ~ I really enjoyed your pictures glad you are home and had time to post them ~ Happy belated Birthday for your Grandson ~ It must be a nightmare queuing to cross that bridge I would think it will be much better when the two are open for one way traffic ~  thanks for the links to the bridge and the lewis army.mil am now going to have a look at them ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,  I`m sorry to hear that your cough hasn`t cleared up yet.  Let`s hope the better weather helps it along.  The pics are smashing, thanks for sharing them.  I`d love to visit that market were I to visit Seattle.  I love places like that. :o)

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Linda, Thank you for sharing your wonderful, WONDERFUL photos. My photos of the Market that I took on our last visit didn't come out nearly so good.  I love the flowers and vegetables and watching the fish thrower/catchers!! I forgot about the new bridge being built.  Love thepics of the museum.  My hubby was a tanker in Alaska back in the days of Viet Nam, he didn't have to go over there as he had a brother killed there. So strange to think that both of my boys were stationed at Lewis.  Tommy lived on the base.  Chad & his family lived in Steilacoom. (I probably already told you all that though...LOL).  Looks like Spring has sprung there.  Thanks again for sharing.
Barb