Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sunday Update

It's still very cool in southern California.  Today it's overcast and 61 degrees.  Yesterday it might have reached 65-68 degrees but not any higher than that. I think in all the times I've been down here, this is the coldest it has ever been.  It would be perfect weather to go to Disneyland but for some reason, I'm just not in the mood this time.  If we went anywhere, I think I'd rather go to Knott's Berry Farm.  I haven't been there since the 1955 trip with my folks. Anyway, we've been turning the heat on the in the camper at night.  Yes, we're sleeping in the camper here, too.   It's parked up in their big driveway area and it's easier than dragging all our stuff into the house. 

Bob's daughter is working with a company down in the Los Angeles wholesale district on ordering new drapery rods for three rooms in their house.  Yesterday she had to go back down there, so she dropped us off at Olvera Street and we ate lunch and looked around at all the different shops there.  If you're not familiar with Olvera Street, check it out on Google.  It's the beginning of the city of Los Angeles.  I like to go there every time we're here because I remember when I came down here with my folks in 1955, we went there one evening with my uncle, aunt & cousin.  And my uncle bought me a turquoise & silver ring.  I had never had anything like that before so it was really a big deal. I believe in the pictures I have with John Wayne, I have that ring on as a matter of fact.  However, a couple years later, I lost it never to be found again. So when I walk the narrow cobblestone streets among all those little Mexican shops and places to eat...I remember that evening so many years ago.  Yesterday I bought some sterling silver hoop earrings to go with a beautiful silver necklace I bought at a Navajo Indian craft stand we stopped at on the way down from the Grand Canyon. We were there about 3 hours and then Bob's daughter, Hope, picked up again for the ride back to Pasadena.  In the past we've taken the Metrolink train to Olvera Street.  You can catch it here in Pasadena and ride to Grand Central Station in downtown Los Angeles for less than $2.  Then Olvera Street is a short 3-4 block walk from there.  The Metro runs between the freeway and it's sort of fun to be zooming along while the freeway is at a virtual standstill.   They do have a great mass transit system in this area.  One time Bob flew into LAX and took the Metrolink all the way from the airport to Pasadena, where his daughter picked him up.  That trip cost him about $4. And it saved her a lot of time & gas, not having to drive clear out to the airport.

Today, we're just hanging out here at the house.  We had a little wiring problem in the camper last night but Bob got that fixed today.  When we are not plugged into electricity, the lights and the water pump run off the truck battery.  Well, last night just as I was brushing my teeth, "the lights went out in Pasadena."  Bob was already asleep, so I just finished in the dark and crawled into my little bed.  Anyway, everything is back to normal.    He thinks after looking it over today, it was just some loose wires.  So if it goes out again, we'll just get a case of bottled water. And get stuff done before it gets real dark.  Then he can look into it when we get home.

We still haven't decided when we are leaving here for sure or which route we're taking.  It's not up to me though, because I'm only the passenger, not the driver.   :)

Until next time,  Linda

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a shame you lost the ring your uncle bought you ,dont forget to take pics of the new jewelery you bought when you get home ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to disneyland and knott's berry since grad night, lol... I so want to go to Disneyland with the boys....
Happy Camping!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

It was 85 here today!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid it was my dream to go to Disneyland.  I have never gotten there so I guess it is still a dream of mine.  I am not sure why though....even swinging on a swing makes me motion sick.  I guess I just want to oggle Mickey and Pluto!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Linda sounds like you are having a great trip ~ visiting there must be bringing back some lovely memories for you having visited there before with your folks ~ sorry you lost the ring your uncle bought you ~ look forward to seeing pictures of your buys ~ Hope the wiring holds out until you get home ~ have a safe trip ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip and  I agree, I'd rather go to Knott's Berry Farm.  Hugs,
Lisa