Friday, June 1, 2007

Continuing Our Journey..A Visit to the Mission

When we woke up in the rest stop, Bob decided we were going to have steak & eggs for our breakfast.  He took the portable BBQ, out to a picnic table and started the grilling. I had some left over baked potatoes, which I cut up and fried, I scrambled some eggs, got out the carton of orange juice...it was better than Denney's Grand Slam breakfast!  As we headed down the highway near Salinas, I spotted a Mervyn's off to the side and he went off at the next exit and we made our way back to the shopping center.  Mervyn's was once of my favorite stores here in my town but last fall the "big wigs" of Mervyn's closed all the stores in Washington and Oregon.  Anyway, I went on a little shopping spree...while Bob took his mid-morning nap in the camper. They had great sales going on (as always) and I really made a haul ! 

Our next stop was the Mission San Juan Bautista.  It is a State of California Historic Park.  This mission was founded in 1797 by Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen. We've been to many missions on previous travels and this was certainly an impressive one.  The chapel is still being used...has a daily Mass for those who live locally and are just passing thru.

"This park is adjacent to one of California's 21 Franciscan missions. The location was once the largest town in central California and the hub of travel between northern and central California. The mission is owned and operated by the Catholic Church and has been in continuous use since July 1, 1812.

The park site includes several structures built in the 1800s. These include the Plaza Hotel, Plaza Hall and stable, blacksmith shop, granary, jail, and the newly reopened Castro-Breen Adobe with colorful and informative exhibits to help create a unique learning environment for people of all ages."

After a walking tour of the mission and later down the road some lunch we continued on to our next destination...San Francisco.

Until next time.......Linda

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mission projects here are a big thing at school... I think son2 did his on Mission San Juan Bautista... When living in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale, I lived off the El Camino... and I can smell the garlic in Gilroy, lol....
I'm enjoying your trip!! and I live here....
Linda :)
my brother lives in Spokane so hopefully one day I will get to Washington, only been a few times as we drove through on vacation to canada growing up....

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed visiting the mission with you Linda ,what a wonderful place to see ,I loved the tips for stagecoach travellors ...great to look at your pictures the 'proper' way lol ! ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I had a lovely time looking at your photos, very interesting. some of the furniture was strikingly lovely. I am looking forward to San fransico.
love and hugs
Katie

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the pictures are back to their old format.  Much easier to take a good look at.  Once again enjoyed this part of your journey!  You should write travel mags!  Looking forward tovisiting San Franscisco!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

How nice to be able to see the pics at leisure and really look at them instead of having them flashing and wriggling for a few seconds then disappearing! They're all so beautiful, I love that vine, looks like it's clinging on for dear life to the support! I'd love the piano too, we had one when I was growing up. My sister was a fantastic pianist. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos, you must have some wonderful memories! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

what beautiful gardens at the mission.  i loved the catcus garden.
gina

Anonymous said...

I've never seen that mission.  I'll have to make a point when I'm up there sometime.  Your breakfast sounds so yummy.  The food tastes so much better when it's cooked outside.
Hugs,  Kathy

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures especially the one of the vine it looked desperate not to let go :o) really enjoyed reading about the mission and thanks for the Link ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

The mission looks so interesting.  Glad the pics are back to the old format, so much nicer to look at.  Breakfast sounded good too.  Joni

Anonymous said...

Great pictures Linda, it`s so nice to be able to view them at leisure and have captions to read too.I loved the sign giving tips to stagecoach travellers...lol! :o)

Love Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

I read this entry.  I thought I commented on it. LOL Probably one of those times my internet went down or AOL booted me off. More fantastic photos of the fantastic voyage.  Thanks again for sharing your grreat trip with us yur photos and the narration. Barb