Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Apple Cake

I love this apple cake recipe.  I got it years ago, like back in the 1970's from my friend Ginny.  At this time of the year, most of us have access to windfall apples, so go gather a few out of your yard or your neighbors yard and give this a try. 

Apple Cake

1-1/2 cup granulated sugar, 3/4 cup shortening, 2 eggs, 2-1/2 cups flour, 3 cups peeled, bite size apples, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup warm coffee, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional).

Cream granulated sugar & shortening.  Add eggs and beat until mixture is creamy.  Set aside.  In a larger mixing bowl, combine flour, soda, salt and 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, mix together. Then mix in sugar, shortening & egg mixture..adding alternately with warm coffee.  Fold in apples and nuts. Spread into a greased 11 x 9 baking pan and top with brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

When I make this cake, I always make it in the morning while there's still coffee in the pot. It is soooooo good. And a great way to use up those surplus apples.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda thanks for sharing this recipe ~ will try this one out as we have plenty of windfalls and it is nice to have some diffent recipe's to try ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Sounds really good, when are you making it?  I had trouble with my journal, have to try again.  Joni

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy Linda, I'll be round for my slice later!! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))Have a nice evening.

Anonymous said...

Ohh, that sounds the perfect cake to have on a blustery fall day!  Thanks!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

ooooh it sounds delicious!!  Perhaps I will pass this along to my mom hoping she'll take the hint.  ;)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing........June:)

Anonymous said...

This is one to copy and try thankyou Linda ...love Jan xx