Thursday, November 26, 2009

BLACK FRIDAY


Only in the great USA is the Friday after Thanksgiving referred to as "Black Friday." That's the one day of the year, retailers can count on those cash registers ringing up sale after sale....thus putting them in "the black."
This year I see some stores are opening at midnight~yes just a few hours after folks have indulged in their Thanksgiving dinner. Then some are opening at 3am and some at 5am. Prices will be slashed to the bone, and the shoppers...hungry for good deals will be lined up at the doors waiting for them to open and then they'll take off in a run to grab that $5 doll or that $85 television.
I have never really participated in this craziness ~ usually spending the day putting stuff away from Thanksgiving dinner. Or even using that day to start addressing my Christmas cards.
However, last year Bob and I did go out shopping but not until about 10am. This year, I'm not sure. You see the retailers hold off telling us what super duper sales they are having until Thursday morning, when we open our newspaper.
My heart goes out to all the clerks and shelf stockers in the stores involved in this crazy tradition. You all deserve "combat" pay for this particular day....

7 comments:

betty said...

I have to agree, Linda, the clerks should get combat pay; seems like it gets more and more dangerous with each passing year as the crowds stomp through the store to get to where they want to try to save money.

hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

betty

Wish on a Whisker said...

Hi Linda~ Have fun if you do go out! I'll be at home in my pajamas (smile). ~Mandy

TARYTERRE said...

I really appreciated your blog about this. I got my paper today, and scoured the ads, looking for bargains for Black Friday. I found what I was looking for, CHEAPER online... one or two clicks of my mouse and I'm done shopping. No long lines to stand in and it's being delivered right to my front door. For years... I braved the cold and crowds to get a deal... but no more.

Sugar said...

if you go, be safe, & just have fun!
huggies...

Joyce said...

There's not enough money on the planet to get me to go again. I went a few years ago and it was so not worth the stress. I've found great bargains on-line and finished my Christmas shopping a while back. Yay for me.
Hugs, Joyce

Marie Rayner said...

I never knew what Black Friday meant Linda!! Thanks for enlightening me! I think I'd rather have my teeth pulled! I hate the crowded shops at Christmas time.

garnett109 said...

unfortunately i had to go out today for meds, other wise i'd be home